Sicily, Palermo, Cathedral
|Also known as
|Via Vittorio Emanuele, 90040 Palermo PA, Italy
At Palermo Cathedral, in a small niche above the southern (main) porch, is a mosaic of the Virgin and Child flanked by two half-figures of angels. The cathedral was built between 1172 and 1185 by the Archbishop of Palermo, and probably – if churches such as Monreale are anything to go by – contained extensive mosaics. Certainly we know that there was once a mosaic image of the patron archbishop.